E-commerce is a big force, and arguably, easier to launch than a brick-and-mortar store. However, entrepreneurs still face the challenges of designing compelling websites, managing orders, processing payments, tracking inventory, and the many efforts that go into marketing, SEO, revenue projection, and more.
Fortunately, the software as a service (SaaS) sector has developed a number of platforms to make building and managing an e-commerce site easier. BigCommerce is one of those options.
What is BigCommerce?
BigCommerce is a hosted e-commerce platform that allows solopreneurs and large enterprises of all types to build and manage an online shop, wherever they are. Because the store is hosted on BigCommerce’s servers, there’s no startup equipment needed for users to start selling online. All they need to do is create an account, select a subscription option, and start building. The platform manages basics, such as website design and payment processing, but comes with other tools built-in to the platform that can be useful for overall business management.
Operating as a SaaS platform, BigCommerce has no software to download and run on a computer. The web-based system operates entirely online on a multi-tier subscription basis.
What are BigCommerce’s main features?
BigCommerce comes with an array of capabilities and functionalities, including
- Page Builder: BigCommerce comes stocked with a number of themes and templates that allow users to set up their stores in minutes. These themes can be further customized with the Page Builder feature or drastically edited with custom CSS for more advanced users.
- Storefront Management: Drag and drop functionality simplifies the process of setting up an online store. BigCommerce also links with a number of digital wallets, such as Apple Pay, Amazon Pay, and PayPal One Touch to make checking out even easier for customers.
- Built-In Search Engine Optimization (SEO): Users may capture more organic traffic from search engines because BigCommerce streamlines SEO with search-friendly URLs, as well as the ability to easily edit Metadata and robots.txt files.
- Integration: BigCommerce offers several features, but the platform doesn’t expect users to limit their tools to just its offering. It’s designed to integrate with the platforms other businesses might already be using before subscribing, such as WordPress and Acquia.
- Multi-Channel Selling: BigCommerce integrates with brick-and-mortar operations as well as online marketplaces, such as eBay, Amazon, and Google Shopping, and social commerce platforms like Pinterest and Instagram.
Learn more about additional features here.
Who is BigCommerce for?
BigCommerce is designed to work for a wide array of entrepreneurs and companies, whether they’re just starting out or have been long-established. The interface and basic tools can make it easy for solopreneurs with no design or coding experience to build a store, but it can also be a useful platform for larger operations that like more heavy coding and customization.
Who isn’t BigCommerce for?
If you’re running a very large operation, BigCommerce may not be the best platform. Though many companies won’t surpass BigCommerce’s caps, the platform does have limits, such as how many brands or categories a store can have, or how many SKUs a product can have.
Still, these limits have not stopped major brands like Clarks, Gillette, or Toyota from utilizing the platform.
If your online store is also so large that it requires a fully customized backend, you’re better off developing something proprietary than trying to adapt BigCommerce to your needs.
BigCommerce is packed with features that make e-commerce accessible to novice entrepreneurs with no design or coding experience, as well as large and well-established brands looking for a simple, yet robust platform.
The creators of the platform have taken many e-commerce businesses’ needs into consideration, making it possible to sell in multiple currencies, incorporating SEO in the shopping platform, and automating a number of processes to save you time and money.